Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Emily's Impressions

Jeff has decided that it's high-time I write a blog. I don't like writing. We fought. He won. So, with a black eye and a bloody nose, I am writing this blog.

The past 3 months have been full of new experiences. Moving to Brazil brought new people, new opportunities, and a new culture. My experience here is beginning to become a little more "normal" but the first few months here wasn't quite that. While most people come here after months of prayer and preparation, I came after 2 weeks of prayer and preparation. While most people come after preparing so much that they just want to get on with it and get down here, I came trusting the Lord but not quite sure what I thought about the whole idea of being in Brazil for an extended period of time. Over the past 3 months I have learned a lot about the ministry here. I have become excited about the work that God is doing. I have made new friends. And the Lord has taught me a lot about trusting in him even when my mind calls it contradictory. God has provided me with everything I need. He has given me purpose and a reason to be here. He has given me good friends. He has given me joy and he will give me a future.

Just to give you a little idea of what I've been up to down here, I've been teaching Kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd grade at the International School, 2 classes for children in nearby towns, and 1 class for the teachers at the school. I've kept busy but not too busy to neglect the playground. Over the past few weeks, Lindsay and I have designed a new English program for the school. We are very excited about the possibilities that it brings for next semester. We are praying that the Lord will use it to his glory and that the English program will grow with the school. The next month brings forty-some Americans. This is gonna be a crazy place. But it's going to be a lot of fun, especially considering that part of the group is my family.

~Emily Taylor

No comments: